Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My health and what it means for this forum
Hello readers,

I just left the hospital for the second time in less than two months.It was an overnight stay going through a few tests on why I experienced my problem yesterday morning.The results of the tests only showed that what I experienced is not easily explainable.

I already have an appointment with the Hematology/Oncology doctor in early July that was set ten days ago to check out why I have persistently elevated level of Red blood cells that has made me anemic forcing me to take iron pills to avoid crashing.If you look it up you will know having this problem is potentially a very bad sign for my future well being.

The other hospital visit a month earlier was much more serious to the point that I was put in isolation and given a bunch of antibiotic's that successfully cleared it.But for a while it was a very serious internal problem.

There were a few other major bacterial infections I had to fight off as well since March that took time to clear up.It is the rash of sicknesses this year that is a problem I face and why they are coming so often these past months is what concerns me.

I have already been pulling back on the use of the internet to stay mostly here.I have stopped being a moderator in one large climate blog and now giving notice to leave a very quiet forum as the chief moderator.Left a reditt climate skeptic forum and been backing off in posting in the two remaining political forums as well.

Now I am beginning to think I may have to drop this forum as well and get out of the whole shebang of climate science and politics to concentrate on my developing health problem.So serious that I might have to make drastic decisions in the next month or so beyond dropping this forum that I have been considering.

The early July appointment results might give me the justification to make some drastic decisions that could include my dropping this forum.Hardly anyone does anything here anymore and the traffic has dropped to a crawl in recent weeks as well therefore leaving it would not be hard for me to do since it is nearly dead.

It could be a very long summer for me.

Cheers,

Thomas 'sunsettommy" Pearson
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Understanding and sympathy for your health problems Thomas. I'm in my eighth decade and battling with arthritis and blood pressure and other lessor but irritating problems associated with the aging process.

You'ld never guess from my writing but I am very much a greenie. I never eat processed food if I can do so without giving offence. I also eat lots of garlick. Been at it for many years in the belief that it helps ward off infections. So far so good. Works for me. Smile

The other problem is stress. I could never attempt the workload you follow. I'm addicted to this computer but have to limit myself to keep my blood pressure down. Same with TV. I don't watch BBC and ITV any more. I look at France and China news and read a right wing paper. It doesn't help all that much. Global news just gets worse. Keep telling my wife all we can do is be prepared.

Take care. Keep calm and carry on. Ommmm mannee padmeee ommm... Wink
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
(06-23-2012, 06:34 PM)Sunsettommy Wrote: Hello readers,

The early July appointment results might give me the justification to make some drastic decisions that could include my dropping this forum.Hardly anyone does anything here anymore and the traffic has dropped to a crawl in recent weeks as well therefore leaving it would not be hard for me to do since it is nearly dead.

It could be a very long summer for me.

Cheers,

Thomas 'sunsettommy" Pearson

Best of luck with the results, if such is appropriate SST. Your ongoing health concerns are THE issue.
Look after yourself.

What happens with, and on, this forum is secondary. Although I hope "things" pick up in the near future. WINK.
Is forum back up upto date?
Would you consider an archived, but open to all option for the forum?
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety)
by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken.  

The hobgoblins have to be imaginary so that
"they" can offer their solutions, not THE solutions.
Sorry to hear about your health problems Tommy.

Here's hoping they get it sorted out and get you on the road to complete recovery.

Take care.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

Hello readers,

Tomorrow is the big doctors visit to determine what is going on.

I have been losing a lot of weight which is a good thing but wonder why it is suddenly so easy to lose it.And have been taking Iron supplement to greatly reduce the Anemic condition that I have been under for months.

I hope it is what I am now suspecting it is and make the needed adjustment to stop the problem.

Cheers,

Thomas "sunsettommy" Pearson
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

Hope all goes as you think it will.

H. L. Mencken.  

(07-04-2012, 07:01 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: Hello readers,

Tomorrow is the big doctors visit to determine what is going on.

..... hope it is what I am now suspecting it is and make the needed adjustment to stop the problem.

Cheers,
Thomas "sunsettommy" Pearson

One of my close relatives suffers from perhaps a similar anemic problem. One short term emergency solution was for him to get a blood transfusion, whereupon he felt instantly much more energetic. He's had the condition for years, quite an annoyance for him.

Hope your solution is at hand.

- Russell

Thomas, I shall raise a glass of one of Scotland's finest brews and appeal to the fates to smile on your worthy endevours. Good luck for the morrow.
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
Hello readers,

I have come home from my doctors visit today with indications that my problems has been related to a medication that may have been the cause of the elevated blood count problem coupling with what happened that put me in the hospital back in March and the low iron levels that was low then is now back within normal range.

The next doctors visit is in a couple of weeks where the other doctor will will see if that is the case.If so my health problems are dissipating over time.

Hope things get better and thanks for sharing. Getting old isn't for sissies.
Smile
Good news to hear you old boot. :lol:

Well said Goose52, thanks for sharing SST.

H. L. Mencken.  

Wow! I´m reading this thread for the first time right now. I had not idea that Thomas was having health problems but I´m glad they are "dissipating".

I´m having other kind of problems and had to disconnect from almost every forum, blog, even Twitter... I reduced my activity to facebook, where I can follow the alarming news of my crippled country (though my doctor advises me not to do so). As I noticed you posting on facebook and Derek´s increased activity there I was thinking everything was going alright.

This forum is a jewel. I´ve learnt a lot here and lots of times I come back to search something I read here. Things have quite changed since the time I joined and who knows when I´ll be back as an active member.

SST, first things first. But you can be proud of the effort you´re making here, even if sometimes it "runs slow", all the work done is still usefull. Thanks a lot Smile

¡¡Mucha suerte, SST!!

As Richard111, I´ll raise my glass for you!
Ni cien conejos hacen un caballo, ni cien conjeturas una evidencia (F. Dostoyevski)
(08-31-2012, 01:37 PM)strogoff Wrote: Wow! I´m reading this thread for the first time right now. I had not idea that Thomas was having health problems but I´m glad they are "dissipating".

I´m having other kind of problems and had to disconnect from almost every forum, blog, even Twitter... I reduced my activity to facebook, where I can follow the alarming news of my crippled country (though my doctor advises me not to do so). As I noticed you posting on facebook and Derek´s increased activity there I was thinking everything was going alright.

This forum is a jewel. I´ve learnt a lot here and lots of times I come back to search something I read here. Things have quite changed since the time I joined and who knows when I´ll be back as an active member.

SST, first things first. But you can be proud of the effort you´re making here, even if sometimes it "runs slow", all the work done is still usefull. Thanks a lot Smile

¡¡Mucha suerte, SST!!

As Richard111, I´ll raise my glass for you!

Nice to see you back today. Big Grin

There are changes coming to the forum that I have kept to myself that will be a different tack from what it has been for some time.

Hopefully things will get better for you.

I've been away for a bit, but seeing the hopefull good news is great.

Take care Tommy.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

I am saddened to hear of your ill health and glad to read that the doctors have traced the cause of the problem. I hope you will get your full energy and vigour back.

Reddit /r/climateskeptics has gone a bit crazy now with four blatant parody accounts and three genuine true believers trying to push the envelope of sheer lunacy. The true believers are winning this particular dissing contest hands down, as usual.

I think this forum is valuable, and I appreciate your work in keeping it on track.

Thanks again, and I hope your health will improve.
(08-27-2012, 02:26 PM)Sunsettommy Wrote: Hello readers,

I have come home from my doctors visit today with indications that my problems has been related to a medication that may have been the cause of the elevated blood count problem coupling with what happened that put me in the hospital back in March and the low iron levels that was low then is now back within normal range.

The next doctors visit is in a couple of weeks where the other doctor will will see if that is the case.If so my health problems are dissipating over time.

That sounds encouraging! I hope your health problems are sorted out soon! And reading this made me think to double check when my next blood doning appointment is as those of us who are healthy should do our bit.

(10-01-2012, 01:15 PM)Seele Wrote: I am saddened to hear of your ill health and glad to read that the doctors have traced the cause of the problem. I hope you will get your full energy and vigour back.

Reddit /r/climateskeptics has gone a bit crazy now with four blatant parody accounts and three genuine true believers trying to push the envelope of sheer lunacy. The true believers are winning this particular dissing contest hands down, as usual.

I think this forum is valuable, and I appreciate your work in keeping it on track.

Thanks again, and I hope your health will improve.

Thanks for the support but not completely free yet as I have one more Doctor check up to cover something just in case.

Here is the update since my last doctors visits.

Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

The Endoscopy/Colonoscopy (Yes it was both at once) procedure revealed the source of the persistent low level internal bleeding and was clamped off to stop it that was probably the main cause of my low iron count and the reason why I was so tired in the late afternoon.A condition that may have lasted over a year and a half before it was discovered.I was wondering why at 50 seem to be running out of gas so early.

The procedure did show that I MUST from now on have a Colonscopy every 3 years to have the Polyps I have that are pre cancerous be removed to prevent them from being cancerous later.If I do not get them removed every three years then I will get cancer and die early.I have two other types of polyps as well but they are not a concern but they get removed too just to make my colon look pretty.Smile

It is highly recommended to start your Colonscopy check up by age 50 and every 5 years after that unless the doctor says more often like it is now for me.

I recall dragging my feet in the store in the evening just to keep moving sometimes feeling that I will fall down thus wanted to get home to get off my feet telling my wife to hurry up and getting irritated when she seems to take her time now that has vanished and now have no problem in the evening activities.But I still push my wife a little at times anyway.Angel

Good to hear the situation is under control. I think I mentioned before I spent my early years in India and developed a liking for curry and hot spices. Can't say if this was effective but I am 72 and never had any problems like yours. Good luck for the future.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Health and Problems Sunsettommy 0 1,409 01-19-2016, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Sunsettommy