Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analysis of Washington Post police-shootings data reveals surprising result – nearly
From WUWT

Analysis of Washington Post police-shootings data reveals surprising result – nearly 2x more whites than blacks shot by police

July 18,2016

Excerpt:

When Arrests Go Bad

Guest Essay by Willis Eschenbach

I got to thinking about the issues of race regarding the recent tragic police shootings, both the shootings of police and the shootings by police. The best data is from the Washington Post, which has a detailed site listing all of the people killed by police, which begins in 2015 and goes to the present. I thought I’d analyze their data. I looked at the data for the year 2015 because the full 2016 data is not in yet, and also in order to be able to compare it to other annual datasets.

First, there were 990 fatal police shootings in 2015. How does this compare to other causes of death? Well, I can’t tell you because so few people are killed by police. The number is so small that it is outside the range of the usual mortality lists. I can say that death by police is not in the top fifty causes of death in the US, so it is relatively rare. It is extremely rare for women, because the overwhelming majority of those killed by police were men.  And I would be greatly remiss if I did not highlight that in addition to the 990 civilian deaths, there were 51 police deaths in 2015 …

Regarding the civilians killed by police, more than nine-tenths of them were armed at the time—58% of the people killed had a gun or explosives, 17% wielded a knife or edged weapon, 9% were unarmed, 6% used a vehicle, and tragically, 3% had a toy weapon. The rest used mostly clubs, hatchets, hammers, baseball bats, the usual assortment of your basic stone age deadly weapons that can kill you just as dead now as they could in 1500 BC.

LINK
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Riveting post by black police officer confronts BLM with raw honesty and EVERY Ameri Sunsettommy 0 1,105 07-10-2016, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Sunsettommy
  New Mexico state police officer caught having sex on hood of car while in uniform is Scpg02. 0 3,110 09-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Scpg02.
  Police Threatens Journalist Looking for Secret Morgue Scpg02. 0 2,258 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Last Post: Scpg02.
  Institute Research Reveals Why Sea Levels Aren't Rising Sunsettommy 5 9,618 06-27-2010, 05:45 AM
Last Post: MostlyHarmless