Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major forum changes
Hello visitors and readers,

there is a change coming soon that will be big enough that you might even wonder what is going on.

It should happen by the end of the week.

Cheers,

Sunsettommy
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Hello visitors,

The changes have arrived,with a few small issues left to fix up.

I am happy with the improvements of the newer myBB 1.8 version.

Cheers,

Thomas
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

Thumbs Up 
Lookin' good so far.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

(08-28-2015, 06:11 PM)JohnWho Wrote: Lookin' good so far.

Maybe you be a mod to see the middle ground, to show what is different from JL's old version?

All those problem people JL had would have been handled really well with this version as there some additional mod tools and a couple of plug ins available to handle bad dudes without even sending him to the sandbox,or a site ban.

(08-28-2015, 06:23 PM)Sunsettommy Wrote:

Maybe you be a mod to see the middle ground, to show what is different from JL's old version?

All those problem people JL had would have been handled really well with this version as there some additional mod tools and a couple of plug ins available to handle bad dudes without even sending him to the sandbox,or a site ban.

Sure, I'll take a look around.

Sad
Don't have the time to spend on the boards anymore, though.

(08-28-2015, 06:39 PM)JohnWho Wrote:
(08-28-2015, 06:23 PM)Sunsettommy Wrote:

Sure, I'll take a look around.

Sad
Don't have the time to spend on the boards anymore, though.

This is for your moderating time at AI-Jane forum, to help you convince JL to upgrade soon.

Now going to give you mod status shortly.

Look at the improved moderating options at bottom of page.

I will need to check this out more tomorrow when I can take the time to compare to AI-Jane's Moderator options.

"Soft delete posts" is new, for sure.

(08-28-2015, 07:08 PM)JohnWho Wrote: I will need to check this out more tomorrow when I can take the time to compare to AI-Jane's Moderator options.

When you delete a post, it is still there for Mods to see, but NOT to the public,the background will be purple.

(08-28-2015, 07:08 PM)JohnWho Wrote: I will need to check this out more tomorrow when I can take the time to compare to AI-Jane's Moderator options.

AI-Jane is probably a few upgrades behind on the old version. You'll have to upgrade to the latest 1.6.17 before John goes to 1.8+
I'm assuming the behind the scenes stuff is more secure and more efficient.

Otherwise, from what I can see, the Mod (and I assume Admin) interface seems cleaner and easier to use.

I don't see where as a Mod I could have that much different effect on some of John L's "problem children".

Perhaps at the Admin level?

Even so, it would make sense to keep the board as secure as possible even though that means upgrading as improvements are made to the forum software.

(08-29-2015, 08:06 AM)JohnWho Wrote: I'm assuming the behind the scenes stuff is more secure and more efficient.

Otherwise, from what I can see, the Mod (and I assume Admin) interface seems cleaner and easier to use.

I don't see where as a Mod I could have that much different effect on some of John L's "problem children".

Perhaps at the Admin level?

Even so, it would make sense to keep the board as secure as possible even though that means upgrading as improvements are made to the forum software.

There are several ways for Mods to handle his problem kids, such as soft delete a bad post,ban him from a thread (plug in for 1.8 series), warn him right there in the post, move his posts or entire thread to the sandbox (easy in 1.8).

You can move his future posts to Mod Que for inspection, before approving.

Got it.

No argument from me, this is noticeably better.

Seems faster, too, but maybe that is because the database is smaller?

(08-29-2015, 11:45 AM)JohnWho Wrote: Got it.

No argument from me, this is noticeably better.

Seems faster, too, but maybe that is because the database is smaller?

Learned that you can in a single button, blow the spammer off the forum,right in the offending post they make. There is more ways to deal with them in registration area than before,thus making it easier to keep out the spamming.

1.8 is designed to be a little faster as they are trying to prepare for the 2.0 series,which I think is about 1.5 years from the Beta release,thus working one of the minor myBB weaknesses, make sense to do it now.

I have found a good dark Theme for those who like it that way,as I think Derek would be happy to know from the old days when I got one for him.

It will be added soon along with a couple Plug Ins,such as CHAT board for quick discussions in real time.I hope it is a good one.

Cheers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A major blog post is here from John O'Sullivan Sunsettommy 1 13,849 10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Last Post: JohnWho