Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can not log in - THE easy solution.
Hi All,
Some time ago when changing between computers I had great difficulty logging into the forum. SST patiently sent me new passwords, but I still kept having problems. I have recently become aware that other users, new and old, have been having problems signing in too. I know of some that have tried to join the forum and because they could not log in have given up with the forum before ever managing to log in. THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN.

I think I have found out what the issue is. Certainly it has been the cause and cure in three cases I am aware of.
THE PROBLEM.
When you click on the box to fill in your user name the MyBB software auto fills in the password and ticks the Remember me box. Please see the below screenshot and note where the cursor is.
[Image: Slide11_zpsed31b6db.jpg]
The forum auto fills (with the wrong password and remembers it), before you have even started typing your user name.
[Image: Slide12_zpsb2136dda.jpg]
If one simply types your user name in and then clicks log in you will not be able to log in because you are using the wrong, auto filled in password.

THE CURE.
You must, after typing in your user name then click on the box to put your password in. Please note the cursor position in the below screen shot.
[Image: Slide13_zps9ce2d72e.jpg]

Again, please note the cursor position in the below screen shot.
[Image: Slide14_zps99f90e23.jpg]

Hopefully you will now see the below screen shot.
[Image: Slide15_zps7a5414f9.jpg]

If this has helped you to log in when you could not before then you may well find the following threads useful.

1) How to join this forum

2) Welcome to the GWS forum thread.

I have raised this log in issue elsewhere, but it seems it is not seen as an issue. I think it is, time will tell.

If I have understood things correctly, when you close (without logging out of the forum) and open your browser there is no problem. A cookie automatically signs you back in. However, if you log out of the forum and then try to sign back into the forum then the problem arises. If you log out of the forum, and then close your browser when you open your browser again you have to (manually) sign in, that is when the problem can strike for old members of the forum, as it did with me.
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety)
by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken.  

The hobgoblins have to be imaginary so that
"they" can offer their solutions, not THE solutions.
Logging in can only work if the member use their validated username and password they themselves created when they joined.

If you want to have automatic log in just click on the REMEMBER ME box and there you go right into the website.

If you are worried about your personal account getting hacked,use a complicated password setting. That is what I use and I keep my remember me box checked to save me the trouble logging in.
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Agreed SST, but I think this issue is that it is very easy to miss the fact that the forum software auto fills with the wrong password, and ticks remember me too.
For the unwary / unfamiliar it is VERY EASY to get caught out by that. I was, and so were several others I already know of. I suspect many more have been too.

H. L. Mencken.  

(01-05-2014, 10:31 AM)Sunsettommy Wrote: Logging in can only work if the member use their validated username and password they themselves created when they joined.

If you want to have automatic log in just click on the REMEMBER ME box and there you go right into the website.

If you are worried about your personal account getting hacked,use a complicated password setting. That is what I use and I keep my remember me box checked to save me the trouble logging in.

I am in the habit of always logging out when I have finished a visit to a site. I have always thought that ticking the "remember me" box would save my password so that I could log in again even if I had forgotten my password. I rarely do this.
Since I now have quite a few passwords to remember, I decided that this time I would tick the "remember me" box.
After I joined the forum, I logged out and when I returned later and logged in, the box for password was already filled and so I typed in my username and clicked login.
This brought up a message to tell me that my username and password did not match.
As this was a problem which Derek had also had, he told me to delete the autofilled password and retype my password. I was then logged in.
It seems that ticking the "remember me" box does not mean it will remember my password after I have logged out, but as the password box is autofilled, one generally assumes that it has.
As I usually log out, I guess that the best thing to do would be to untick the "remember me" box.

I have now tried unticking the box and I've found that when I come back after logging out, the box is ticked and the password box is autofilled with the wrong password!!
No wonder people are having trouble.
Here is what I did to make it work:

I fill out the log in information in with the REMEMBER ME box checked,then I log in.THEN I save the website with it logged in.Then you should have no problem after that.

I have NEVER have a problem with it.
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
(01-05-2014, 10:43 AM)Derek Wrote: Agreed SST, but I think this issue is that it is very easy to miss the fact that the forum software auto fills with the wrong password, and ticks remember me too.
For the unwary / unfamiliar it is VERY EASY to get caught out by that. I was, and so were several others I already know of. I suspect many more have been too.

It is interesting to note how many reads this thread has already had.

It may also help to explain why so many have joined the forum but never posted.

I realize both are reading between the lines as such, but, the above is my gut feeling.
Time will tell.

H. L. Mencken.