Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wind farm turbines wearing out fast, says study
Wind farm turbines wearing out fast, says study

This is a report by Chief Reporter Robert Mendick in The Sunday Telegraph dated December 30, 2012. The report is on the right hand side of page 10. I am unable to find it in the Telegraph web pages.

Quote: The report's author, Prof Gordon Hughes, an economist at Edinburgh University and a former energy advisor to the World Bank, discovered that the "load factor" - the efficiency rating of a turbine based on the percentage of electricity it actually produces compared with its theoretical maximum - is reduced from 24 per cent in the first 12 months of operation to just 11 per cent after 15 years.

This is the first time I have seen these figures quoted in the media. I will scan the complete article and post it later today.
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
[Image: wind-ng_zps48ea2e65.jpg]
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
"Wind farm developers only earn money for the clean electricity they actually generate, . . ."

Hah! And what about the money they get when the wind blows too hard?
Wind farms vs wildlife

Quote:I’m a lecturer in biological and human sciences at Oxford university. I trained as a zoologist, I’ve worked as an environmental consultant — conducting impact assessments on projects like the Folkestone-to-London rail link — and I now teach ecology and conservation. Though I started out neutral on renewable energy, I’ve since seen the havoc wreaked on wildlife by wind power, hydro power, biofuels and tidal barrages. The environmentalists who support such projects do so for ideological reasons. What few of them have in their heads, though, is the consolation of science.
Here is the source for the post that started this thread.

Analysis of Wind Farm Performance in UK and Denmark

At the bottom of the page are links to a PDF and to data for UK and Denmark.

As I keep saying, these windmills are monuments to man's stupidity.
It appears that the evidence against windpower is gaining power and therefore I will have to post a few gems on it after I get home from work.

The waste is a burden on the taxpayers and a boon for the capitalist who used the generous subsidies to get them built and pocket the money.

Angry

It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Windpower obsession are killing birds too even when they are nesting in the woods:

Live Footage Of Wind Turbine Industry Demolishing Rare Bald Eagle Nest In Ontario

http://notrickszone.com/2013/01/08/live-...n-ontario/

Youtube video in the link.

AngryAngryAngry
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Look at this! They are going rusty!! In less than three years!!!
LINK
[Image: article-2270029-173F8C31000005DC-405_634x387.jpg]

[Image: article-2270029-173F8966000005DC-245_634x395.jpg]

Oh, yes, here are the specs for the turbine.

encore :lol:
Supplementary evidence to the Energy and Climate Change Select Committee on the economics of wind energy

PDF file where they explain everything is much better than you think. I do like the idea that dotting the country side with 50MW gas generators to fill in the inevitable power losses and line breaks will solve a lot of issues. /sarc

Just think of all the engineers on standby waiting to dash over and manage the system to balance power demand on gusty days. Money is free I guess. Angry