Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
How green is my valley?
With apologies to Richard Llewellyn. I doubt he ever dreamt things would come to this.

Here is my view from the first floor. That roof has only been worked on for just over a week.
It is only one of seven buildings being fitted with solar panels or already completed.
I can't blame the port authorities, who own all the buildings, from cashing in on this.
But it seems a very cynical project to me. None of the buildings has a roof line any where
near aligned to the sun and there appears to be no adjustment to compensate. The building
behind the one being worked on already has solar panels fitted. Look carefully.
There are also four panels on top of the funny square skylight, two looking east and two south.

[Image: solar-pv.jpg]

Wikipedia gives a quick rundown, all Chinese manufacture it seems. Also heard the installation contractors are from Cardiff.

Ah, well. I suppose I must consider myself priviledged to see my world turn "green" before my eyes.
At a rough estimate there will be around 350 panels on that roof. I guess the total contract on all building must run to about 2,000 panels. Very nice. Must try to figure out how much power they might produce if the sun ever shines.
Sunshine at Milford Haven
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
(02-22-2012, 02:03 AM)Richard111 Wrote: With apologies to Richard Llewellyn. I doubt he ever dreamt things would come to this.

Here is my view from the first floor. That roof has only been worked on for just over a week.
It is only one of seven buildings being fitted with solar panels or already completed.
I can't blame the port authorities, who own all the buildings, from cashing in on this.
But it seems a very cynical project to me. None of the buildings has a roof line any where
near aligned to the sun and there appears to be no adjustment to compensate. The building
behind the one being worked on already has solar panels fitted. Look carefully.
There are also four panels on top of the funny square skylight, two looking east and two south.

[Image: solar-pv.jpg]

Wikipedia gives a quick rundown, all Chinese manufacture it seems. Also heard the installation contractors are from Cardiff.

Ah, well. I suppose I must consider myself priviledged to see my world turn "green" before my eyes.
At a rough estimate there will be around 350 panels on that roof. I guess the total contract on all building must run to about 2,000 panels. Very nice. Must try to figure out how much power they might produce if the sun ever shines.
Sunshine at Milford Haven

Maybe it is a new invention.The Backradiation Solar collector.

Rolleyes
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Sadly, that represents the owners of that building putting their hands in your (and my) pocket and taking our money, without our permission, via government subsidy. Otherwise, within 20 years the panels will be scrap and will not have paid back their installation and purchase costs.

Unless, the mythical back radiation theory is proved to be real, of course!
Contractors have completed installing all solar panels on the roof pictured above and have now moved on to the building behind the library. The roof of this building is flat and is aligned north/south. Surprise, surprise! These panels are installed on south facing brackets but the tilt angle only looks about 30 degrees through my binoculars. So I thought I would do some research. Well, frankly, I am horrified! It appears that solar panels are only about 20% efficient and then only if they are aligned within 7 degrees to sun normal. Well! The sun moves across the sky at 15 degrees an hour so you will only get your full 20% power efficiency for about 1 hour a day! And then only if you have a clear sky. And also if the contractors have installed the panels at the optimum angle!

It sounds like solar panels as a dependable/reliable power source is a farce. These are the links I looked at. If anyone knows of sites with more positive data please post.

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Using calculations from the back of an envelope I get minimum sun in winter is 15.5 degrees and maximum sun in summer is 62.5 degrees. That is of course for my latitude of 51 degrees north. So if your panels are set anywhere between 22.5 degrees above horizantal to 55.5 degrees you will get optimal sun for FOUR MONTHS OF THE YEAR. And during those periods your solar panels will do their 20% efficient best for about one hour a day to convert the available sun to electricity. At all other times the efficiency will be between 20% and ZERO. Especially during the hours of darkness and when it is overcast and raining.

The more I look into this the more unbelievable it becomes. I think I will have to accost a passing salesman and ask for a quote to see if he will answer my questions.
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
All this and SEVEN new jobs! Can't knock it I suppose. [/sarc]

[Image: solarpanels.jpg]
On this roof I see 360 solar panels. This is just one of 25 buildings at Pembroke Port and Milford Marina recently fitted with a grand total of 2,500 panels.

[Image: pv-panels.jpg]

Now look at todays sunshine record which I grabbed at 4:00pm this afternoon. Look at the upper trace between 12:00 and 14:00 hours. The radiance level is switching between 900W/m^2 and 300W/m^2. This is not exactly a small change in power level. I am wondering how these surges are controlled. A bit tough if you are running heavy machinery near the limit of the available power from the solar panels when a cloud moves in front of the sun. If the power is being fed out to the grid how does the grid cope? These particular panels are about 300 yards from the sunshine recorder. I can see the cloud shadows moving quite rapidly over the roof panels and wondered how these rapid changes are controlled.

[Image: MHsun.png]

I thought wind turbines were iffy with changing wind speeds but that is nothing compared to the change of power between sun and shadow.
While reading comments at E.M.Smith's (Chiefio) blog I followed up this link:

Some Observations on Photovoltaic Cell Panels
by Oliver Seely Revised June 7, 2011

Absolutely fantastic. Answered a lot of questions for me and also surprised me as to how much energy was delivered on cloudy days. Well worth a read.
Looks like my valley is turning more green (evergreen?). Milford Haven Port Authority will be installing 20,000 (yes, twenty thousand) solar panels in a green field near me. I think I will be able to see them from my house in due course. What caught my attention mainly is the claim that this new installation will supply enough power for 1,000 homes.
Gosh, that is on average just 20 panels per home. Problem is most houses don't have enough roof facing south to mount 20 panels so I guess its a good thing MHPA is doing it for us.

The report below is scanned in from the Milford and West Wales MERCURY from Thursday, September 13, 2012. I tried to find a link to the report on their website but failed to find it.

[Image: 20Kpv_zps5e63ce4b.jpg]

Another interesting point is that the array presents an 'opportunity to improve the diodiversity of the fields around it'
I'm still pondering that.
(09-19-2012, 06:21 AM)Richard111 Wrote: Looks like my valley is turning more green (evergreen?). Milford Haven Port Authority will be installing 20,000 (yes, twenty thousand) solar panels in a green field near me. I think I will be able to see them from my house in due course. What caught my attention mainly is the claim that this new installation will supply enough power for 1,000 homes.
Gosh, that is on average just 20 panels per home. Problem is most houses don't have enough roof facing south to mount 20 panels so I guess its a good thing MHPA is doing it for us.

The report below is scanned in from the Milford and West Wales MERCURY from Thursday, September 13, 2012. I tried to find a link to the report on their website but failed to find it.

[Image: 20Kpv_zps5e63ce4b.jpg]

Another interesting point is that the array presents an 'opportunity to improve the diodiversity of the fields around it'
I'm still pondering that.

This is not good, Richard. Fields should be used for growing food and not as a very inefficient source of electricity. The UK currently has to import much of its food from abroad. If greenhouses were placed in that field then real greenhouse, green energy trapping technology could be used. To make food.

Those solar panels will all be at the end of their useful life within 20 years and without government subsidy would take up to 100 years to pay back their true installation and purchase costs.

And the "government" subsidy is taken out of our pockets without our permission (taxes, high fuel bills etc).
Sigh. Hope you all had a nice Christmas. Here is the the week to Christmas Day sunshine record for Milford Haven. There is a big SPIKE on the Christmas Day chart. That is when the sun showed itself for about three minutes! But that was when I carried the turkey into the dining room! From the barbeque! My first ever barbequed turkey and it was declared a great success.

Anyway, here you see a weeks recorded sunshine. I just wonder how much revenue was generated for the Port Authority to justify the outlay on all those PV panels.

[Image: md_solar25-12-12_zps73c8a989.png]
I just can't get over the lack of sunshine here in Milford Haven!
Only had a few snow flakes so far even if the rest of Wales is locked in.

In the graph below the verticle scale is in WATTS PER SQUARE METRE of sunshine.
At a very rough guess the average sunshine was 60w/m^2 for 6 hours a day. At 20% efficiency that becomes 12w/m^ x 6(hours) x 7(days) x 2,500(panels) = 1.26megawatts for one week. It's been like this for weeks now.

[Image: sun23-01-13_zpsd5531da4.png]
Have you seen this yet?

CHART
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Big Grin She wouldn't strip like that here in Milford Haven. :lol:

Temperature hasn't been above 4C, day or night, for days. Had a bit of sun this afternoon but my thermometer still says 4C. Forcast is rain and WARM for tomorrow. We'll see.
I wonder how solar panel perform under these conditions? Rolleyes

See what happens to car windows!
Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. All that investment money which is supposed to give a good return over 25 years. Suntech, manufacturer of all those solar panels shown above, has gone bankrupt. No chance of a money back guarantee there!

Solar Power Failing World Wide

Quote:It is not just Chinese solar arrays that are failing—the defective panels installed on the Los Angeles area warehouse were made by an American manufacturer. Furthermore, all solar panels degrade and gradually generate less electricity over time. But a review of 30,000 installations in Europe by the German solar monitoring firm Meteocontrol found 80% were under-performing. Testing of six manufacturers’ solar panels at two Spanish power plants by Enertis Solar in 2010 found defect rates as high as 34.5 percent.
Ah, Ha! I've spotted the frames for the solar panels mentioned in Post #8 above.
They are being temporarily stored behind the old golf driving range. Haven't spotted the actual field for the final installation yet. Looking forward to getting some pics when the panels arrive. Especially when the snow comes. Angel
[Image: panels.jpg]

There they are! Taken at max magnification with my little digital camera from the upstairs north facing window in my house.

Those frames are over a mile away and extend the full width of that picture.
Will try to get some close ups in due course.
[Image: panels2.jpg]

Got closer this time. Dodgy Had to step onto private land. Can't be too careful. People seem to be twitchy about this stuff.

You can't see them yet but behind the trees on the left are mounted solar panels on the first few rows of supports. Going to be quite something when it's finished.
Much progress on the solar park. All the framework seems to be complete and mounting of solar panels proceeding apace. Report from the horses mouth, so to speak.

Solar Array at Liddeston Ridge
Key Facts

Even a little video in the link for you to look at.
These guys don't hang about!

[Image: panels3.jpg]