Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum future
Hello readers,

I have been thinking about making a decision on what to do about the forum.It is no longer going anywhere.It is too big and with too many forum sections to deal with.

There has been no site feed back in the 3 years it has been a forum.That is really bad.There used to be feedback when the forum was in a different format.I missed replying to the e-mails.They were fun and educational.To deal with people.Who have no idea what they are talking about.

I am sure guests have wondered what this place is about,when the skepticism of the AGW hypothesis is nearly impossible to find.Just a lot of stuff that is not important to most people.Therefore leave and not come back.They may end up going to a rotten forum.Where they could get filled with Eco baloney.

That has to change.

It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Hello,

Forum registration is CLOSED.

Guest forum is closed to guests.There will be no more guest posts allowed.Spam is all we get.
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

This forum is a valued resource. Maybe not by many presently, but it is valued.

I have offered in the past to help with costs, if that is an issue,
can we talk about that privately please.

I want to see this forum continue, as is, it's time will come / is almost upon us.

You have said that this forum is yours, and yours alone, well, I beg to differ as such.
We who have contributed, and continue to contribute, deserve some say in the matter / future of the forum.

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety)
by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken.  

The hobgoblins have to be imaginary so that
"they" can offer their solutions, not THE solutions.
I can reduce the cost of running two existing forums.Without any changes to the forums performance.

When I deleted the GWS blog.It opened up a big hole in the server host account.It is currently at least $30 to $50 per year above the necessary level to keep it running.

I deleted the third forum (A private climate skeptic forum) last night,because the members never use it.Thus allowing me the opportunity to set up a new one or drastically reduce my server yearly cost.

The forum is mine and I can do what I want with it.But I have no intention of throwing it away.Like I did with the blog.Because unlike the Blog.There is interest here as you make clear.

If I wanted to get out of this forum.I would cast about,looking for someone to take it over.The way Steve LeMaster (The original forum owner) did with me.He offered it to me freely.I took it and here we are today.

But I have no plans to give it up or destroy it.

I am struggling to understand what you mean above.

You deleted a third forum, do you mean the private discussions section of this overall (GWS) forum?

If so, for instance, is the smelling the coffee thread gone?
I would of liked the opportunity to copy and paste that to a word document before it was deleted.
There was also a thread about educational snobbery I would of liked to have copied, and there may have been others too.
I, and others, frequently include relevant links in posts so we do not loose them..

That the forum is yours, is not under question, but it is material we have created that is posted,
so I would suggest there is at least a (polite) duty upon you to give us a chance to make copies before things are deleted.
To say, after the fact, I deleted something without notice is a lot less than polite.

Is it possible to use your last back up, in such cases, to restore what was deleted, so,
interested parties have a chance to make copies of the threads / sections before they are deleted from the forum permanently, if they want to.

H. L. Mencken.  

I deleted a completely separate forum that was created for those people who have a bad habit of discussing the science through e-mails.It was running on the SMF software.

The private forum HERE is still here.

I have no plans to delete anything in this forum.

Ok, I think I understand now. Thanks.

I agree re those who discuss by emails by the way - all that effort and some expense on your part with no use, acknowledgment, or thanks,
damned annoying, to say the least, and
not a little stick in the mud of them.

They will have to up their game.
And,
you deserve thanks that you have never received.

H. L. Mencken.  

I am not going to dwell on it.

Hello visitors,

There will be a new climate forum coming soon.A planned start date is for January 2012.

It will have only about 3-4 forum sections in it.It will be for the general public to read and comment in.

Tentatively I will be the only one to start threads.But members are welcome to post in them.

The purpose is for the general public to have a chance to understand what the "skeptic" is coming from and why Sunsettommy is skeptical in the first place.

Hopefully you will understand why I will be the sole thread starter.I intend to control the direction of the new forum.

More will be coming soon.

When the new forum becomes active.This old skeptic forum will be 90% closed down and be a read only archive.

Hello readers,

With some feedback from Derek through the PM's.I will keep the following open for posting in this forum.

Derek at GWS

The Science and it's subforums

The rest will be a read only set up.

It is subject to change.

Hello visitors and readers,

I have to say that I am disappointed in the lack of concern from people.For my announcement about closing this forum down.I had expected more response than this.

Aside from Derek and Climate Realist (who are British),I have no feedback at all.It must be because of the way I have handled the forum.But some people complained to Derek about it.But not to me.Who spends the time and 100% of the cost in running it.

That is bad.

It seems to be a symptomatic of America these days.They let so many things go until it is too late.This forum could have done a lot more.But I got very little background support.

Except for John Who and Maggie.Most of the top posters in the forum are from England.I think they cared about more than the average America does about the climate.

Thank you gentlemen from England.

Thank you JohnWho for being my long time Global Moderator.

Thank you Maggie for coming back.

Hmm... I thought I'd responded here.

The forum does provide a good resource and remains a much better way to discuss topics than, for example, WUWT's use of Wordpress.

The lack of "alarmists" joining here does show one thing we've all known for quite a while:

they do not want to debate.

Thank you, SST for keeping this forum alive.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

I will continue to follow this forum in whatever form it ultimately takes.
I appreciate it Goose.

Big Grin

Forum Registration has been reopened.

Hello readers,

I have changed the permissions.Members can now post in the Site and Forum Announcements forum.

This means you can post here. Big Grin

I have made my first draft for the new forum.I am still not sure what forum software I will use.But these two are the ones I am most serious about.Burning Board (Woltlab) and myBB.

The first one is a paid software.But has a nice Portal and a Blog to work with.
The other is a Free one.But a weak portal and no blog worth considering (Plug in).

Your comments on the below are welcome.

The name of the forum might be Climate Change & Cycles

Here is the current appearance of the forum to be:

FORUM HEADQUARTERS

Commentary
Moderation
Private
Lounge
a) Ask me
b) Cartoons
c) Site Feedback

EARTH SCIENCES

Milankovitch Cycles
Meteorology
Interglacial
Glacial
Climate Cycles

A third Forum Category is still being considered.But maybe not to start the new forum with.

I plan to ask for limited donation support.There is no intention to try making money here.It is to keep the forum running more professionally.And to help pay for a Custom Theme I will be getting from Skin City Designs.

This time the forum will stay much smaller and be more focused on the science.

Any comments are welcome.

(11-05-2011, 08:06 AM)Derek Wrote: Ok, I think I understand now. Thanks.

I agree re those who discuss by emails by the way - all that effort and some expense on your part with no use, acknowledgment, or thanks,
damned annoying, to say the least, and
not a little stick in the mud of them.

They will have to up their game.
And,
you deserve thanks that you have never received.

Stephen Wilde and Nasif Nahle were the only ones who posted in it.Beside me of course.The fearsome threesome heh.

Smile

Stephen might find my proposed forum to his liking.Since he is hot about ocean and atmospheric currents.This can be explored in the Meteorology part of the board.Or in the Climate Cycles part.

Cool

No comments?

Huh

That's the problem with providing a service. If no one is shouting at you, you are labouring under "quiet approval". Rolleyes
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
Ok.

Smile