Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
When do the lights go out?
I read this in todays Sunday Telegraph. Christopher Booker's column.
It seems things really are worse than we thought.

Quote:New figures show the lights may go out sooner than we thought

Our coal-fired power stations are closer to extinction than predicted, and wind power stubbornly refuses to fill the gap, says Christopher Booker.

Figures published last week reveal that the moment when Britain’s lights start going out may be much closer than previously predicted. Thanks in part to the hammering they took in the abnormal cold of last winter, six large coal-fired power stations which supply a fifth of Britain’s average electricity needs have now used up more than half of the 20,000 running hours they are each allowed under the EU’s Large Combustion Plants directive. When they reach that limit they will have to shut down.

Furthermore, in two years’ time, the Government’s new “carbon tax” will make them £600 million a year more expensive to run. Their mainly German owners will therefore want to use up as many of those hours as possible before a charge of £16 for every ton of CO2 they emit comes into force in 2013.

Industry sources are suggesting that the six plants, including Kingsnorth, Ferrybridge, Didcot A and Tilbury, may close two years earlier than the forecast date of 2015. Ever since the Blair government’s disastrous 2003 Energy White Paper, which in effect turned its back on replacing coal-fired and nuclear power stations in favour of renewable energy, it has been clear that we would eventually face a 40 per cent shortfall in our electricity supplies. Yet nothing better brings home the utter folly of our politicians’ infatuation with wind power than the fact that three of the huge coal-fired power plants we must soon lose each provide nearly twice as much electricity as all our 3,000 wind turbines put together.

During those freezing, windless weeks last winter, when we were often using up to 60 gigawatts of power, 40 per cent of it from coal, the contribution of all those windmills was so minuscule that several times it appeared as 0 per cent. Even in last week’s hot weather, it was still so derisory that more than once we were having to import four times as much power from France – made by the nuclear reactors which our own politicians dislike almost as much as the coal-fired plants they don’t want to see replaced. Truly there is madness here.
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
Quote:it has been clear that we would eventually face a 40 per cent shortfall in our electricity supplies. Yet nothing better brings home the utter folly of our politicians’ infatuation with wind power than the fact that three of the huge coal-fired power plants we must soon lose each provide nearly twice as much electricity as all our 3,000 wind turbines put together.

Sad to say but that may be what it takes to wake up the general public.
Did you mean the voters?

Dodgy

Sometimes they have to endure real suffering to get their attention.To finally push for increasing new power supply generation to be built.

Until then they suffer.

It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

–William O. Douglas, U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1952
Yes the voters/protesters.
Semper in excreta folks. This is when the shit hits the fan for the voters. It will only be something of this nature that will make them pay attention.
And what is that? SHIT! Rivers of it running through the streets of our towns and cities. Sewage has to be pumped to move it through the sewage farms. No pumps and it backs up and overflows. Simple cause and effect. A consequence of vast hordes of people living cheek by jowl.

I realise I have a problem. My house is half underground and the lower half has to have a sewage retention tank that is pumped out about every two days. With no electricity the lower half of my house is unlivable and that is where the kitchen and washing machines are! Luckily I have a 2.5KVA generator. Time to service it and stock pile some fuel I think.
Environmentalism is based on lies and the lies reflect an agenda that regards humanity as the enemy of the Earth. - Alan Caruba
I agree, it will take the lights to go out and people could die - very sadly, mostly old people and those ill in hospital etc- before the general population wakes up to the CO2 scam and start to ask questions. Middle of another cold winter- when a high pressure system has settled, we have cold air from Siberia and the near-useless windmills stop turning.

I have started a wood pile at the end of the garden, and my house has a fireplace. I suggest you all make similar plans.

The only good that will come out of the lights going out is that this will force our useless politicians to wake up and ask the same questions and only THEN will the whole scam collapse.
The sad part is that too many people do not learn the errors of the past.

Thus they will have to suffer all over again.To wake up and realize they were not paying attention for a long time.If they were always a bit skeptical.They would spot it much sooner,the bilge they have been given.

Gad,I wish people would stop being so gosh darn complacent!
It is our attitude toward free thought and free expression that will determine our fate. There must be no limit on the range of temperate discussion, no limits on thought. No subject must be taboo. No censor must preside at our assemblies.

20,000 running hours they are each allowed under the EU’s Large Combustion Plants directive.

My gasted is flabbered! What's the point of building a power station if it is only allowed to run for two years and four months!!!!!

I assume a power station runs 24/7 ??? That gives 24 x 7 x 52 = 8736 hours per year!
20,000 hours will be used up in 2.289 years.

AND OUR GOVERNMENT KNOWINGLY SIGNED UP TO THIS !??
(04-27-2011, 10:13 PM)Richard111 Wrote: 20,000 running hours they are each allowed under the EU’s Large Combustion Plants directive.

My gasted is flabbered! What's the point of building a power station if it is only allowed to run for two years and four months!!!!!

I assume a power station runs 24/7 ??? That gives 24 x 7 x 52 = 8736 hours per year!
20,000 hours will be used up in 2.289 years.

AND OUR GOVERNMENT KNOWINGLY SIGNED UP TO THIS !??

You need to vote in change. We did and look how well it is working for us. Confused

Seemingly everything is politics, yet,
THE politics appears to be everything.

And depressingly THE politics seem to be almost ubiquitous.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/...ons_i.html
Climate laws don't wait for UN
Richard Black | 22:47 UK time, Tuesday, 26 April 2011

" With UN climate negotiations in something of a quagmire, you might assume that
fewer and fewer governments were passing national legislation on the issue.

According to a report just out from Globe International, the parliamentarians' alliance, you'd be mistaken.
"

and,
" One of their top-line conclusions is that most of the laws have been passed within the last 18 months
- giving the lie to any notion that glacial progress on a new international agreement has caused governments to think again.
"

and,
" it analyses legislation in 16 of the world's major economies (15 countries plus the EU), "

and,
" As to why Globe has released the report, its president Lord Deben (former UK Environment Secretary John Gummer) writes:

"It is my view that an effective post‐2012 climate change agreement will only be possible when
countries are already taking the necessary domestic action, firmly rooted in their own national interest.

"In other words, an international agreement will only reflect the political realities in the major economies, not define them."
"
The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed
(and hence clamorous to be led to safety)
by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Mencken.  

The hobgoblins have to be imaginary so that
"they" can offer their solutions, not THE solutions.
DD is visiting and as usual the family photo albums are top events. DD is a smart cookie and was able to use Google Earth to show us, in detail, the homes we once lived in in South Africa. To our surprise two of the homes are now surrounded by electric fences with BIG signs warning everyone!!!

This is very much a sign of a disintegrating society. The same thing is happening here in the UK. Just check out the recent events at Bristol. Then the two old people murdered for a TV set!!!

Last week we had an intruder! He had climbed over the garden wall and walked in through a patio door that had been left open because it was warm. When DW challanged him he turned his head away and left pronto. By the time I became aware there was a problem he had scarpered. We called the cops and they arrived in reasonable time and took statements and fingerprints but I don't think anything will come of it.

I am now in the process of fortifying my home with alarms and wish I had my CZ75 I carried for over ten years in SA.

With the escalating fuel and food prices I expect more desperate people to be around on the streets soon. And when the lights do start going out gangland organisations will start to expand.

I have lost faith in the future of the UK.
Get a rottweiler or two.
They know who to protect.
(04-29-2011, 02:27 AM)Derek Wrote: Get a rottweiler or two.
They know who to protect.

Guard dogs are fine if kept in the house. Then there is care and feeding etc. and a couple of septagenarians with arthritic knees won't be too good at walkies.

If you really want to get into guard dog protected premises take along a bitch in heat.

I'm investigating radio controlled movement detectors. I want to know where an intruder is and I don't want them to know I know.

(04-29-2011, 05:34 AM)Richard111 Wrote: If you really want to get into guard dog protected premises take along a bitch in heat.

Angel
Whistles innocently.

Consider a recorded playback of loud dogs barking?

You don't have to walk a recorder you know.

Smile

A bark worse than it's bite, literally.
:lol:

I prefer being a bit more "realistic"..
In today's Daily Mail, Tuesday, June 12, 2012 on page 60 there is a regular artical titled ANSWERS TO CORRESPONDENTS Compiled by Charles Legge.
Here, members of the public can submit questions which may or may not be answered by various correspondents
This question and answer caught my attention.
Quote:QUESTION We no longer have any supersonic passenger aircraft. Are there any more cases where we have taken a step backwards in technology?

FURTHER to earlier answers, I believe a distinctly retrograde step in the field of energy was to abandon the revolutionary advances
British Coal and its subsidiaries had made in utilising indigenous energy reserves.
These new technologies offered strategic opportunities and would have allowed significant independance from the vagaries of
international energy prices and foreign political influence.
In line with Plan for Coal 2000, the Grimthorpe project - a working pressurised, fluidised bed combuster - was probably twice as efficient
as any current fossil-fuel power plant.
Then there was the trial at Point of Ayr colliery which produced crude oil from coal by dissolving coal in anthracite oil. This synthetic
crude oil could then be refined in any oil refinery.
Finally, there was the Coal Research Establishment's process for producing synthesised natural gas (SNG) by the complete
gasification of coal.
Unlike the more familiar gasworks' coal gas, SNG had the same composition as North Sea gas and could have been pumped
directly into the gas grid.
Some people have argued that coal is 'dirty', but used in these ways it would cleanly displace imported 'clean' energy such
as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
It would also buffer the UK's exposure to dwindling oil supplies and from increasingly unstable parts of the world. Further,
our balance of payments deficit could be reduced.

Wither strategic planning?

John Beksa (senior scientist, retired), Chesterfield, Derbyshire.

The final question by John Beksa says it all. Why do we have a government???
A ray of sunshine?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/95446...iasts.html

Quote:What they could not have expected was Mr Davey’s response. He trenchantly dismissed their calls, restating his view that we urgently need a massive new investment in gas generation. Only after 2030 would this require the “carbon capture and storage” that, as Mr Davey has already admitted, is still an “unproven technology” (and is likely to remain so). So the first message of last week was that the once hugely influential Climate Change Committee in effect has been kicked into touch. In the name of keeping Britain’s economy running, the Government seems now determined to break its own law.
Quote:...the Government seems now determined to break its own law.

Then they can repeal the crazy law and feel better about it.

There have been signs that several governments in Europe is waking up to the reality that LOW MASS power generation such as Wind and Solar power have no chance to meet the demand and that it requires large subsidies to keep them operational.